Pruning trees is the practice of clipping, or removing branches or roots of the tree to improve its shape and health. Pruning is an important part of maintaining a healthy and attractive landscape. Here are five reasons why you should prune your trees:
- Safety: Dead or diseased branches can pose a danger to people and property if they fall. Pruning these branches can prevent accidents and damage.
- Health: Pruning trees can improve a tree’s overall health by removing diseased or damaged branches, which can help to prevent the spread of disease or pests to the rest of the tree. Pruning a tree can also improve airflow throughout the canopy helping the trees shed excess moisture to prevent rot and fungus.
- Aesthetics: Pruning trees can improve the appearance of a tree by shaping it and removing unwanted branches. This can help the tree to look more attractive and can also help it to blend in with the surrounding landscape.
- Fruit production: If you have fruit trees, pruning can help to increase fruit production by removing any branches that are not producing fruit and promoting the growth of new, fruiting branches.
- Property value: A well-maintained landscape, including properly pruned trees, can increase the value of your property. Pruning trees can also help to maintain the integrity of your home’s structure by preventing branches from growing too close to the house or other structures. Healthy trees show that a homeowner has taken care of their property and their growing investment.
It’s important to note that pruning should be done with care and attention to proper technique. Incorrect pruning can damage or even kill a tree, so it’s best to consult with a certified arborist or tree care professional if you are unsure about how to prune your trees. Here is a helpful link to New Mexico State University on proper tree pruning techniques and some of the tools you will need.
Ready to hire an arborist to assist you with pruning your trees? Check out this article on what questions you should ask when hiring a tree company.